INDIAN BENCHMARKS Strong opening on D-street amid global rally
The Indian markets are set to witness a gap up opening on Wednesday tracking a surge in Asian equities and a strong finish at Wall Street overnight. SGX Nifty is trading 70.00 points higher.
Shares of Bajaj Auto, Tata Steel and GAIL will be in focus as these companies unveil their March quarter earnings numbers today. Volatility may remain high at the domestic bourses as traders roll over their positions ahead of the May futures & options (F&O) contract expiry on Thursday
Indian shares edged higher, heading for their first gain in five sessions after well-received corporate results, including from Tata Power, offset lingering worries about rate hikes by the US Fed Reserve. The S&P BSE Sensex and CNX Nifty rose 0.30%-0.23% each today.
- Asian shares gained on Wednesday, taking cues from sharp gains in European and U.S. financial shares while the dollar was underpinned as investors count on the U.S. Federal Reserve to hike U.S. interest rates in coming months.
- U.S. stocks surged to close higher Tuesday as a rally in financial and technology shares underpinned a sharp, broadly based stock-market advance
- European shares rose to their highest point in almost 4 weeks on Tuesday as firmer financial stocks lifted the region's equity markets.
Major Headlines of the day:
- Sterlite Tech eyes broadband infra play.
- Maruti earmarks 40% capex for product development.
- Infosys to run German bank's IT operations.
- Tata Power's generation capacity up by close to 5% in FY16.
Trend in FII flows: The FIIs were net sellers of Rs -815.53 Cr in the cash segment on Tuesday while the DIIs were net buyers of Rs 989.95 Cr, as per the provisional figures.